We have successfully established an ex-situ breeding population of A. femoralis at the University of Vienna where specific behavioural experiments can be conducted under controlled conditions. Currently we house about 150 adult individuals.
Controlled behavioural experiments will be conducted to investigate:
- The Influence of parental relatedness on fertilisation success and embryonic survival
- Tadpole deposition preferences
- Female tadpole transport behaviour
- Offspring recognition
- Behavioural flexibility of parental behaviour
- Strategic parental decision making